This is the oldest wine that we release each year. It is only available in tiny quantities due to the amount that evaporates to the atmosphere over time, known as ‘the angel’s share’. The centerpiece of the label is a coat of arms with the original d’Arenberg crest, created by d’Arry Osborn in 1959 when he first released wine with the red stripe. Alongside the crest as supporters are a Clydesdale horse and a Dorper lamb, both important to the history of the winery and also today.
In 2013 Chester Osborn, current Chief Winemaker and Viticulturalist, reintroduced the use of horses to the oldest bush vine Grenache vineyard in McLaren Vale, and sheep continue to graze between the vines as part of the biodynamic practices employed in the vineyards. Other elements of the coat of arms represent the export history of our fortified wines, illustrated by a ship crossing an ocean of vine leaves. Also present are acknowledgements of the traditional viticulture and winemaking techniques that are still in use at d’Arenberg, hand pruning and basket pressing. A second look at the labels show a human foot drawn on each supporting animal, representative of foot treading of each red ferment. Other features are vineyard tools and oak barrels, a copper pot still and a gentle cherub.